4/18/2011 is the 105th anniversary of the tragic 1906 San Francisco earthquake. To mark this anniversary, the California Insurance Commissioner Dave Jones is calling upon California residents to update their emergency earthquake preparedness plans and asses their need for earthquake insurance. Based on recent data collected by the California Department of Insurance (CDI), about 90% of homeowners and renters do not carry earthquake insurance.
Homeowners’ and renters’ policies do not cover damage resulting from earthquakes. If you have property that can be damaged in an earthquake it is highly recommend you carry earthquake insurance. Contact your agent today to get quotes!
Please take note of these earthquake preparedness tips:
- Review your insurance policies at least once each year with your agent or broker to ensure that they provide adequate coverage.
- Consider purchasing an earthquake policy if your home is in an earthquake-prone area, and is more susceptible to earthquake damage such as older or multi-story homes, or homes on soft soil or a slope.
- Take measures to retrofit your home to increase your safety during an earthquake.
- Brace your water heater to minimize the risks of fire and water damage caused by water heaters that topple during earthquakes.
- Bolting your home’s wood frame to its foundation can prevent damage resulting from the structure sliding off its foundation. And for houses on raised foundations, the bracing of “cripple walls” can also reduce damage from earthquakes.
- Mobile home owners should use earthquake-bracing systems to reduce the chance of damage from homes slipping off support jacks.
- Fasten cupboard doors with child-proof latches to prevent them from opening and spilling their contents.
- Fasten bookcases, mirrors, televisions and other tall or heavy objects to wall studs.
- Gas appliances should have flexible attachments, and family members should be familiar with gas shut-off techniques.
Need help getting an earthquake insurance quote? Our agents are standing by for earthquake quote requests, call (925) 447-2565 or visit our website at www.genemorganinsurance.com for your free, no-obligation earthquake quote today!
Want to stop by and review your earthquake policy? We are conveniently located in downtown Livermore, CA.
To find important information about preparing for a disaster, please visit the web site of the California Department of Insurance at www.insurance.ca.gov. Or, call the toll-free consumer hotline at 1-800-927-HELP.