Protect Your Home While On Vacation
We recommend taking the following preventative measures to keep your home and personal belongings safe:
- Keep your home well-lit. Mount exterior lights in your yard or on your house so that they are out of reach of would-be burglars. Put indoor lights on a timer.
- Make it time-consuming to break into your home. Dead-bolt window and door locks can slow a burglar down. You may qualify for a discount on your insurance policy for installing these devices.
- Make it noisy to break into your home. Invest in a burglar alarm. The most effective systems ring at an outside service, which alerts the police, fire or other emergency service. A sophisticated alarm system could result in insurance discounts of 15 to 20%.
- Make sure you have strong doors. Outside doors and frames should be made of metal or solid hardwood and be at least 1 3/4 inches thick and each door frame must fit its frame securely. Even the best lock with not deter a burglar if it installed in a weak door.
- Turn off your computer and disconnect it from the internet. If you save personal information in your computer, make sure it is difficult to access. You do not want a hacker at work while you are on vacation.
- Keep valuables in a secure location. When possible, do not leave personal documents in your home office or desk-burglars know to look for them there. Keep important documents, expensive jewelry and other items in a safety deposit box in a bank or other secure location.
- Have mail and packages picked up, forwarded or held by the post office. Also, stop newspaper deliveries and ask a neighbor to pick-up packages for you.
- Leave blinds or curtains open in their usual position. This will make it appear that you are at home.
- Ask a neighbor for help. Ask a neighbor you trust to keep an eye on your home while you are away. Make arrangements for your lawn to be moved. Only tell people you know and trust that you are going away.
This entry was posted in bay area, CA, california, condo insurance, East Bay, gene morgan insurance, home insurance, independent insurance agent, Insurance, insurance agent, Livermore, Pleasanton, Safety Tips, summer, vacation and tagged california, East Bay, Home Insurance, home safety, homeowners insurance, Insurance, insurance agent, Livermore, renters insurance, Safety Advice. Bookmark the permalink.