Your Indentity Belongs to You. Protect It!
A 2009 survey shows that identity theft is on the rise-and it’s more likely to start with a stolen wallet than an online phishing expedition.
Researchers at Javelin Strategy & Research reported that the number of identity theft cases increased 22 percent to 9.9 million in 2008.
- Crimes of opportunity, such as stolen wallets, represented 43% of cases, compared to 33% in 2007, indicating an increase in the desperation of criminals.
- Women were 26% more likely to be victims of indentity theft, reporting a higher incidence of lost or stolen information during purchases in stores.
- Only 11% of cases involved online access.
The smartest way to protect yourself from identity theft is to prevent it from happening to you. However, if your identity is stolen, you’ll be able to lessen problems by acting quickly.
- Call your credit card companies immediately. Explain what happened, and ask where to send a copy of the police report.
- Call and report to the police. Make several copies of the police report.
- Complete a Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Theft Affidavit and FTC report (call 1-887-ID-THEFT to request the forms).
- Call your bank. They can place an alert on your Driver’s License number and Social Security Number, and freeze your account.
- Call fraud units of credit report agencies: Experian, Equifax, and Transunion.
Fortunately, identity theft protection is available as an endorsement on most homeowners’ policies at a small cost. For example, Safeco Insurance offers Identity Theft Protection for $12 a year to homeowner policy holders. The coverage reimburses certain expenses associated with identity recovery. Customers can also get guidance on how to protect themselves from ID theft before it happens and may receive assistance with identity restoration.
We have received many calls this summer from our clients in the area who homes have been burglarized, and their financial and idenity information was stolen. Theifs and even more desperate in the tough economy. Learn how to protect yourself today!
For more information call us at 800-447-2565, or send an email to email@example.com. Any of our agents would be happy to help you with your identity protection questions.
And as always, you can get an instant homeowners quote on our website! Please visit www.genemorganinsurance.com